Tie a Tie
It’s a struggle. There’s always someone else to do it for you, but now it’s time you learned how to tie your own tie. It’s not that difficult so suck it up and get going! Today we’ll be teaching you the four in hand knot. Fear (k)not, it’s quite easy!
- Start with the wide end (“W”) of your necktie on the right, extending about 12 inches below the narrow end (“N”) on the left
- Then cross the wide end over the narrow end.
- Turn the wide end back underneath the narrow end.
- Continue by bringing the wide end back over in front of the narrow end again.
- Then, pull the wide end up and through the loop around your neck.
- Hold the front of the knot loosely with your index finger and bring the wide end down through the front loop.
- At last, remove your finger and tighten the knot carefully to the collar by holding the narrow end and sliding the knot up.
That’s it! That is all there is tying a tie. There’s different types of knots you can learn (and as one of our great readers pointed out there are different knots that suit some ties better) but this is the most used one. You will learn how to tie this know quicker and quicker with practise, so keep going!